Day 1 – Cusco to Santa Maria
The tour begins with pickup at 6:30 am in Loki reception. Leave your bags in our luggage storage and hit the road! Sit back and enjoy the spectacular scenery as you are driven to over 4,200 meters above sea level to the top of Abra Malaga. (picture mtn.) Take a deep breath, strap on the protective gear provided and take in the majestic mountain before hitting the pavement on brand new mountain bikes. Feel the wind whip your face as you cruise down winding mountain roads, past waterfalls, mountain villages and the occasional road dog. Almost three hours and a 2,000-meter decent of white knuckled excitement brings you to the lunch stop in Alfamayo. Strip off layers and slap on insect repellent as you enter the pre-jungle climate. After lunch and some time to relax (to let the heat of the afternoon melt away) a short van ride takes you to the start of your first short trek. Car ride to Santa Tersa where we spend our 1st night.
Day 2 – Santa Teresa to Aguas Calientes
A choice waits at the outset of the third day: either continue trekking, or choose to fly through the air 150 meters above the ground over rivers and jungle! The zip line option includes transport to the zip line facility and 5 zips. Are you brave enough to lean back into the upside down monkey position? Or spread your wings and dive head first in the incredible superman position. Make sure you book your zip line ahead of time to ensure the safest, highest, fastest zips (there are several other zip tours of lesser quality).The group will re-form at the Hidrolectrica station for lunch before continuing the trek. Another three hours trekking along the train tracks and the raging river brings you to the tourist town of Aguas Calientes. Travelers have the option to visit the local hot springs or relax and explore the town before dinner. Make sure you make it an early night to be awake for the ascent to the jewel of the tour: Machu Picchu!
Day 3 – Machu Picchu / Huayna Picchu to Cusco
Your climb to Machu Picchu begins before the sun is up. Ascend step by step for approximately an hour up the Inca staircase to the formerly lost stronghold of Machu Picchu. A 2-hour guided tour reveals mysteries and poses questions of how the Incas lived and were able to achieve such marvelous feats of engineering. After the tour you have the option to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain for an even more incredible view of the ruins and the surrounding sheer cliffs of the Andes. Take your time exploring the wondrous ruins and get that perfect picture before making your descent back to Aguas Calientes. Your return time to Cusco will depend on which transport option, or return train you select.
Included / Not included
- Private transport that picks you up at your hotel in Cusco
- Mountain bike with suspension, gloves and a helmet
- Meals during the trek (3 breakfasts, 3 lunches, 3 diners)
- 3 Night in hostal basic services included)
- Private room in an hostel in Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu, Continental breakfast or similar)
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Professional bilingual guide (English, Spanish and French on demand)
- Train to return to Ollantaytambo + bus to Cusco
- Breakfast on the first day and diner on the last day
- Bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Zipline in Santa Teresa (third day), $20 per person
- Entrance fee to the hot springs (10 Soles)
- What do you have to bring?
- Backpack with a rain poncho
- Water proof vest
- Rain trousers and light trousers
- Trekking shoes
- Sandals (for the showers and the hot springs)
- Bathing suit and towel
- Mosquito repellent
- Desinfectation gel
- Toilet paper
- Toilet necessities
- Camera (wrapped in a plastic bag)
- Torch with extra batteries
- Original Passport
- International student card ISIC
- Money in Soles
- The climate can be very cold and humid, for this your clothes are not able to dry. This is why you should bring extra clothes as well.
(1) Visit to Huayna Picchu: This demands a reservantion in advance. We will take care of the reservation and will guarantee you the visit to the mountain. The price to this mountain is $15
(2) The agency has to confirm every change in the hours of the train at least 2 days before the start of your trek. During the breefing which also takes place 2 hours before the start of your trek, your guide will give you all the usefull information of the trek.